Saga of the Sani Pass & Mokhotlong Tour (1 night - 2 days)
- 1 day
This is a two day/1 night trip which travels 60km into Lesotho, departing Underberg at 09h30 , overnights in Mokhotlong and returns the following day at around 16h30.
- Day One: Depart from Underberg (collection on route, if applicable) in a four wheel drive vehicle at 07h00 and travel via the Sani Pass with a stop for early tea at Sani Top Chalet. We then travel up Black Mountain Pass for a short walk to a vantage point from where we view Thabana Ntlenyana – the highest peak in Southern Africa at 3482 meters above sea level. We then travel on to Mokhotlong via the stunningly beautiful Sehonghong Valley where we stop at “10 Riverside” for an ethnic Basotho experience which includes a visit to the Ngaka ( traditional healer ) and the artefact house. We then travel to Mokhotlong for dinner and to overnight (dinner bed & breakfast included).
- Day Two: After breakfast we drive through Mokhotlong (once billed as the most remote village in the British Empire) and stop for a short walk down the main road to view the rare Spiral Aloe. We then travel to St James Mission to see the fascinating ceiling of their church. We then drive back up the Sehonghong Valley, looking for the rare Bearded Vulture on route. Once we reach Sani Top, we go for lunch at Sani Top Chalet before descending the Sani Pass back to Underberg.
Good to know
- Please be aware this is a 1 night, 2 days tour
- Minimum of 4 people
- Best to layer clothing as the weather changes with the altitude
- Guided transfer in a 4X4 vehicle
- 2 lunches
- Bed & breakfast
- 2 teas
- Road taxes
- Entrance fees
- Gratuity (recommended)
- Warm clothing for night time (esp. for winter)
- Spending money (SA Rands are accepted)
- Layer on layer clothing (weather changes)
We thought about to make the tour ourselfs but decided to do the tour with Sani Pass Tour ls and it was the right decision...
We had a very competent guide and driver who was very experienced and helpful.
It was a lovely trip and learned a lot about the area and the people living there.
The worst day of my life
We booked this tour as a celebration of my birthday during our visit to South Africa.
I asked the company in advance about the visa requirements at the Lesotho border as I am a holder of UAE passport and they assured me that I don’t need a visa.
After 3 hours journey in a bumpy 4x4 trip we arrived at the Lesotho border.
We were denied entry into the country because we apparently needed a visa.
The driver left me and my family (wife and two children aged 11 and 9) in the middle of the road at the border for 2 hours.
This company wants only to make money without a regards to the basic human needs for the tourists.
Shame on you treating us like this just for the money!
The vibe was amazing and the drivers are awesome and the service was great. I would highly recommend them
Though I was uncertain due to poor weather, this was a great way to spend even a cold, cloudy, wet day. Very atmospheric drive into the clouds. And the weather on top of the pass was actually sunny.
Our guide, Sifiso, was a lot of fun. And I have to give a special thanks to him and the SPT team for helping me retrieve some last property from my previous accommodation!!
Brilliant tour. Guide couldn't have been more accommodating, stopping to let us take photos and pointing out points of interest and wildlife. Excellent stop in a Lesotho village and time at the sani top chalet, highest pub in Africa!
Strict Cancellation Policy
The guest can cancel free of charge until 7 days before arrival. The guest will be charged the total price if they cancel in the 7 days before arrival.
Terms & Conditions
The beauty of Table Mountain, Lions Head and the Atlantic Sea Board coastline from the comfort of our kayaks is unrivalled. Dolphins, seals, penguins, Sunfish and occasionally whales frequent our Cape Town.